New system, data import

We are in the process of implementing a commercial blood bank system. We will be importing data from a home grown system and a different commercial system.

The concern I have is the new system will only import unit numbers in a code-a-bar numeric or code-a-bar alphanumeric format. They propose we alter our unit numbers.

Over the past 20+ years we have used a variety of unit number schemes. Most not strict code-a-bar. For some unit numbers we'd need to truncate the number, for others we would have to alter it completely. We will be able to store the original unadulterated number in an alias field; however, this field is for reference only and will not be searchable.

I am not too fond of this idea and we are soliciting comments from others and may contact FDA for their opinion.

I'd like to hear if anyone else has implemented a new system and if they had a similar problem.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...