getting the right temperature for the cooler.

nsfirm

I really need some help about how to get the right temperature for the cooler.

e.g. when we do cooler validation, the start was around 23-degree Celcius, we were able to reach the right temperature after 1 or two hours after we packed the Red Cells, and we only able to keep it in the right temperature for only 1 or two hours before it kept going up.

how do we reach 2 - 10 degrees of Celcius before putting in the Red Cells?

and how do we reach -20 degree Celcius before putting in the frozen plasma?

thank you.

Hi, We use igloo coolers and three ice blocks frozen and stored at -20 to -25'C.  No colder.  One refrigerated coolant pack (stored in a fridge of 1-6'C) placed on the bottom of the insert.  Then the units on top of that and another refrigerated coolant pack on top of the units.  Coolers will stay within 1-6'C for 8 hours.  We can only send out two units in a cooler at a time.   

On 12/27/2023 at 9:21 PM, Bet'naSBB said:

what coolers are you using and what kind of inserts?  do the inserts need pre-conditioning?  if you can let me know these things,.....I may be able to help! :) 

I am using the usual cool box, and ice pack. 

what kind of pre conditioning is needed? 

sorry, I am really don't know anything about it.

On 12/28/2023 at 2:46 AM, Melanie Oliveira said:

Hi, We use igloo coolers and three ice blocks frozen and stored at -20 to -25'C.  No colder.  One refrigerated coolant pack (stored in a fridge of 1-6'C) placed on the bottom of the insert.  Then the units on top of that and another refrigerated coolant pack on top of the units.  Coolers will stay within 1-6'C for 8 hours.  We can only send out two units in a cooler at a time.   

what is the configuration for all of those? so at the bottom is the coolant pack, blood bag 1, another coolant, blood bag 2, another coolant, and at the top are the three ice blocks frozen? I tried to make a picture of it, please give me your recommendation about it. 

how long do you prepare for it? I mean, when do you put the blood bags inside? 

image.jpeg

6 hours ago, nsfirm said:

I am using the usual cool box, and ice pack. 

what kind of pre conditioning is needed? 

sorry, I am really don't know anything about it.

I've sent you a private message with a lot of specifics about how we do things with the coolers we have -  but came back here to say that we don't "Pre-cool" the coolers before we start the validation as we would not do that in our normal every day process.  When we issue blood or plasma, the cooler is chosen, inserts placed and blood/plasma units go in.  that is how we validate.