ACD-A volume on aliquot labels of apheresis products

When we aliquot an apheresis product we get a full face label for the aliquot and a quandrant 3 & 4 label for the parent unit stating the new product volumes of each.  The product description on the original label includes "xxx mL containing approx ___ml ACD-A" with a value handwritten in the blank space. Our aliquot labels have this same wording on them.  When you label your aliquot or add the quadrant 3&4 label to the original bag what do you do with the handwritten anticoagulant volume?  Leave it blank on both (even though you are covering up the original on the parent unit)? Calculate the ratio for each aliquot?  Copy the original total volume back onto the label for the now lower volume parent unit? (With additional aliquots this value will get more and more inaccurate.)

I doubt this really matters but I would like to know what others do.

We do not add or calculate the volume of the anticoagulant for an aliquoted product label. This space is left blank or a line is written in the space. AABB standard 5.1.6A only requires the "identity of anticoagulant or other preservative solution" and does not require the volume to be stated.

This is consistent with CFR 606.121 (Container Label, section e) which states that Whole Blood labels must include the name of the anticoagulant and the volume of anticoagulant. The only other place I found the volume of anticoagulant in the CFR was for recovered plasma and source plasma.

Stephanie Townsend, MT(ASCP)SBB