manual platelet counts

nziegler

We have no reason to do manual platelet or WBC counts, but we do keep Leukochek vials around just in case both of our hematology analyzers go down.  Over the years, the only people around here that I can recall using them are students. 

Our controls for body fluid counts on the hemocytometer are Cell-chex, which are only used to QC RBCs and WBCs.

I suppose we would have to figure out what to use for QC should we ever (gasp!) have to use them for platelet counts on patients.

Scott

thanks scott.  we used the unopette years ago until they discontinuted it.  we really only used it for our neonatal specimens when the nurses can't seem to collect a cbc that isn't clotted.  it's becoming an issue again, so we're discussing bringing in leukocheck.

from what i remember, we set up a random patient check using a purple top that was already run on the analyzer as our qc.  (but it has to be with every manual platelet, by whoever is performing the count. so someone draws the short straw for the 8 hour shift!)

thanks for reminding me about the qc - almost forgot. one more reason not to bring them back...

• 1 month later...

We do manual plt counts when there is a flag of giant plts and the slide estimate does not agree.  The Platelet count also has to be low for us to review the slide.  The DxHs have helped reduced the manual plt counts we do since they count up to 25 fl.

For QC we do a patient comparison with the DxH count and a manual count.  The Leukocheck are almost exactly like the unipettes and we have not had any problems with them.  The platelets are really easy to see.  We also use them for WBC counts on body fluids if we need a 1:100 dilution.

Hope this helps