What is required on the tag?

SportsFan

When labeling blood components with recipient's information, what is required to be on the tag/label?

We have one tag which we say must remain attached to the unit and another tag which is removed at the time of the bedside clerical check. The tag which is removed has the patient name, MRN, DOB, blood type of patient, blood type of unit, unit number, date and time of issue, also has listed if unit is Hemoglobin S negative or CMV negative, and results of crossmatch. On the tag which remains attached to the unit, the patient's name and mrn are listed as well as blood type of patient and unit.

I am trying to find (unsuccessfully) what is required to be on the tag which remains on the unit. I looked in the technical manual and the CFR but am having trouble understanding what should be on the tag that remains. Any input or suggestions where to find this information would be much appreciated. Thanks!

AABB: 5.20.1

Recipient two independent identifiers

Donor ID number

Interpretation of compatibility (if appl.)

CAP: TRM.41350

"Appropriate patient/donor identifiers, blood groups and compatibility testing interpretations"

FDA: (Not sure of reference myself, I reverse engineered these requirements from their crossmatch/assignment tie tag deficiencies that were considered reportable.)

Recipient identification

Blood groups of unit/recipient

Product type

Unit number

Expiration date/time

Antigen/Markers/Antibodies/Etc.

Product volume

Edited by goodchild

Goodchild listed the requirements for the "primary tag" that is attached to the blood container and what is used at the bedside check prior to transfusion.  What you do (as well as what I do) is also attach a "secondary tag" to the blood container as a way of providing permanent identifcation of the unit to the patient. 

I don't believe any accrediting organization addresses our issue, UNLESS they state explicitly in their rules/regulations that the primary tag must remain attached to the blood container until infusion is completed!

Thank you Goodchild.

Dansket- here is what I found on the CAP checklist which Goodchild mentioned in the above post.

TRM.41350   Phase II

Is a compatibility label or tag securely attached to each unit before issuance, and does it remain  attached until completion of the transfusion?

NOTE: A label or tag must be securely attached to every unit before issuance and remain attached  until the transfusion is completed. The label must include appropriate patient and donor identifiers  and blood groups, crossmatching testing results, and interpretations.

Our tag, which gets printed from the LIS and attached to the blood product before it is placed on the crossmatched/assigned inventory has the patient's Medical record number, account/encounter number, name, date of birth, sex, blood type, donor blood type, product name, donor ID number, expiration date/time and crossmatch interpretation. Any markers are pulled from LIS and printed to a comments section. Any antigen IDs are handwritten on the tag. The other half of the tag is for the nurses to document vitals, signatures for verification, start/stop and all the other required transfusion documentation. Works for us.