Do we need standalone label printing for ISBT?

We have Zebra printers running Hema-Trax connected to Haemonetics BBIS. When ARC finally goes to ISBT we will need to use these printers more (for irradiating, aliquoting and, maybe someday, thawed plasma). How are those already live on ISBT handling downtime labeling? Can we get by without stand-alone software?

We have Zebra printers running Hema-Trax connected to Haemonetics BBIS. When ARC finally goes to ISBT we will need to use these printers more (for irradiating, aliquoting and, maybe someday, thawed plasma). How are those already live on ISBT handling downtime labeling? Can we get by without stand-alone software?

Hi Mabel:

Many HemaTrax users have now purchased our Stand-Alone PC HemaTrax for the exact back up purposes you lis above. This is available directly from Haemonetics. If you have any questions regarding this product please contact Digi-Trax via email at info@digi-trax.com or 800-356-6126 and ask for sales.

Richard

We bought the standalone Hematrax and use it exclusively fulltime without interface to our BBIS (we use softscapes softbank module). Im not sure how you would create an ISBT label downtime without the standalone program. If you are used to your BBIS choosing the correct product code for you, its going to be a big adjustment during downtime using the standalone. The module does allow you to search product codes but due to complexity (of ISBT, not bad hematrax design) we found it very unwieldy. What we did was actually create manual tables we bound together in sheet covers at the terminals most often used to make labels. The tables broke down products into platelets, rbcs, plasma etc and basically one column was what 5 digit code is on the product now before you change it VS heres the 5 digit code for after you irradiated it, split it, etc. Then you can just go straight to the 'make full face/half face label' menu and print exactly what you need. It was a pain to make but as a part time blood banker, its a godsend compared to having to search through the elaborate combinations of anticoagulant, volume collected, leukoreduced/not leukoreduced, product type etc.

I know you can use pre-printed product code quadrant labels for irradiated products (and thawed products, if you relabel them) and change the expiration manually. It is the aliquots (and pools if you do them) that are more complicated, I would think, because you need a full face label for the new container.

Does anyone have experience with other software besides Hematrax, like Computype, for standalone label software?

Computype has a good stand alone product - works like mentioned earlier - you need to get your own lists put togehter of matched products and their components. They have a webinar program that they can set you up with if you contact them - lets you see how it would work. I got to see it, but never got to purchase the system, though I have found the company nice to work with for other product in the past. Good luck.

Computype has a good stand alone product - works like mentioned earlier - you need to get your own lists put togehter of matched products and their components. They have a webinar program that they can set you up with if you contact them - lets you see how it would work. I got to see it, but never got to purchase the system, though I have found the company nice to work with for other product in the past. Good luck.

I know this forum is not for commercial messages. I would just like to remind any of the HemaTrax users out there that Digi-Trax does have a comprehensive "Stand-Alone" that we encourage be used for down time and/or back-up. It is available from Digi-Trax and from most of our LIS partners and can be demonstrated via the web.

Richard

• 6 months later...

:o

I don't know about the others but i think the computype has the so;ution for this problem and now the Digi-Trax Corporation has developed one of the most feature rich and complete blood bank labeling software packages available on the market today.

Digi-Trax has recently acquired all rights connected to NiceWare International's LABELCLINIC product and will be offering all (Computype and other VAR reseller) clients a free software conversion to HemaTrax; Stand Alone and/or TCP/IP interface.

Richard