Manual Retic counts

chknowle

We currently perform automated retic counts on our Sysmex XE-2100 and XT-2000i analyzers. We also have the capability of performing manual retic counts (methylene blue stain) as a backup method, but are considering dropping it. Do other Sysmex users out there have backup methods for their automated RC for situations where instruments retic flags are generated that do not resolve with sample dilution? We also do a peripheral slide review on every retic count for interfering substances (HJ bodies, basophilic stippling, etc) since this is a requirement in the latest CAP checklist...

We have 2 Seimens Advia 2120i anlysers and don't do manual retic counts. Do you run 2 analysers? If so, your second analyser is your backup ;)

Edit - just reread your post. We wouldn't ever do a sample dilution to 'resolve' a retic flag - we'd simply run the sample again in retic mode.

We have a Coulter LH780 and a LH500 for backup. We do not run Retics on the 500, so we keep a few manual tests around and do them with a Miller ocular if necessary when the 780 is down (which is not often). If we had two analyzers that we could run retics on I doubt if we would keep the manual method around.

We also run two Sysmex XE-2100 analysers and have no manual backup. The backup is either of the two analysers, and never had to dilute a sample. I have used merritt tubes in the past. Interestingly very few junior staff of today have any experience of manual retic counts, such is progress!!!!

Steve

• 1 month later...

I know that with sysmex XT 2000i you cannot dilute. We recommend to check the blood smear as a procedural control to correlatate with polychrmasia to confirm for those results outside linearity range "Over 23.0%".

We currently perform automated retic counts on our Sysmex XE-2100 and XT-2000i analyzers. We also have the capability of performing manual retic counts (methylene blue stain) as a backup method, but are considering dropping it. Do other Sysmex users out there have backup methods for their automated RC for situations where instruments retic flags are generated that do not resolve with sample dilution? We also do a peripheral slide review on every retic count for interfering substances (HJ bodies, basophilic stippling, etc) since this is a requirement in the latest CAP checklist...