Post Transfusion Reaction Specimen

DeeMc

I am having a hard time including a clear statement in my SOP as to when units that are crossmatched pre-transfusion can be transfused after completing transfusion reaction workup. Everything I come up with just seems vague and would be difficult for the techs to make a determination. Any suggestions?

Our Transfusion Reaction Procedure spells out the tests and checks that must be done as preliminary investigation on every reported reaction (ie: Clerical recheck of all paperwork, ABO/Rh & DAT on pt Pre-rxn sample, pt Post-rxn sample, & donor unit, check on color of pt's plasma & urine, etc.)

Then there is a statement "The following tests are to be performed only if the patient's symptoms or our preliminary testing suggests the possibility of a hemolytic transfusion reaction:" and it lists the necessary follow-up testiing of repeating the antibody screens, crossmatches, etc.

If you think such a statement is too vague for your staff, you could easily list the clinical symptoms and lab test results that would indicate the possibility of a transfusion reaction. (ie: Shock, DIC, hemolysis and/or Pos DAT on pt's Post-Rxn sample, ABO/Rh results do not match original results, etc.)

Donna

After just rereading your original question, I realized that my first post did not clearly respond to your main question. So let me try again...

If the preliminary transfusion reaction investigation testing results and the patient's clinical symptoms do not suggest that a hemolytic transfusion reaction occurred, the patient may continue to be transfused with donor units that were crossmatch-compatible with the patient's pre-reaction specimen.

Donna