Competency Assessment Documentation

L106

I am under the impression that the Laboratory Medical Director must sign the competency testing records of all the technical staff; however, I cannot find any reference that states this. Did I imagine this requirement, misunderstand the wording of a similar requirement, or what?

Can anyone cite references from the various accrediting agencies stating exactly who must sign the documentation of each employee's competency assessment records? (ie: CAP, AABB, JCAHO, CLIA, etc.) Thanks for any help you can offer.

Donna :confuse::confuse::confuse::confuse: :confused:

The CFR has competency testing listed as the responsibility of the CLIA Technical Supervisor (see 42CFR493.1451 attached). Remember though for immunohematology testing, the Technical Supervisor must be a doctor (42CFR493.1449). So competency of immunohematology tests may be the responsibility of the medical director but other tests may not necessarily. Although 493.1451 assigns the responsibility to the Technical Supervisor it does not specifically state a signature requirement.

42cfr4931451.pdf