Using new lots of controls

SSA

I have an enquiry about using new lots of quality control. Our own range is established after performing runs of controls for 20-30 consecutive days. Is it a requirement that within these 20-30 days the analyte is frequently calibrated to give the best results for the establishing reference range?? Should the mean and SD be changed together or it can be SD alone?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi SSA,

You will absolutely need to change the mean, as I presume it is a new Lot No of the controls you are talking about. For a given test, the SD should be about the same as previously, as it is the accuracy and precision of the chemistry that determines this - I am not saying not to change it mind you. However if you have calibrated nore frequently than you normally would, you may get tighter SDs than you have been getting and if you tighted them, you may be setting up your controls to fail more often. Remember, the SDs may be the same, but if you have to enter "ranges"as we have, they will need to be changed.

Good luck with it.

Cheers

Eoin