Med Student

johndheathcote

I will be starting med school at A.T. Still - SOMA in July. Currently taking a malaria class at LACEN (Amazon State Laboratory in Brazil).

I have a question related to my introduction. I would like to learn how to do alot of the basic and important labs (as I plan on working in some rual areas outside the US) and think it may be useful. What is the general opinion of doctors who do labs in rual (out of US) areas. is this ok? are they considered unqualified? Any good books on the topic? Im looking for a good lab book (Kindle compatable) so I can review some of the labs and maybe get trainned on some of them during my breaks etc.

• 5 months later...

Firstly - welcome!

Point-of-care testing is becoming more and more common. One thing to bear in mind is that as well as doing the actual tests you will be responsible for making sure the equipment is functioning properly - Daily QC, calibrations periodically and trouble shooting when you don't get the QC results you expect.

POC testing in great in principle but experience has shown that a POC coordinator is needed to ensure the analysers are run properly.

There is a great transfusion tool available online - it's a series of interactive case studies where you can select what you would do for a given clinical presentation and it explains what could result. It's a UK NHS tool but it seems anyone can register ;)https://www.e-ksf.org/Login.aspx

Edited by Auntie-D

Auntie-D,

Thank-you for the link. I need some guidance as the registration information appears to be specific to the NHS employees. Is this the case? Some of the required information is related to the locale you would work in, and I do not see a choice that would fit for folks outside of the UK system. Let me know if I am missing something as I have a student who was very enthusiastic about the possibilities this site offers. Thanks again.

Auntie-D,

Thank-you for the link. I need some guidance as the registration information appears to be specific to the NHS employees. Is this the case? Some of the required information is related to the locale you would work in, and I do not see a choice that would fit for folks outside of the UK system. Let me know if I am missing something as I have a student who was very enthusiastic about the possibilities this site offers. Thanks again.

It is specific for the UK but the infomation is pretty general. I'm sure you could register outside of the UK...