Horizon Computer System and Small Transfusion Services

Our very remote 26-bed hospital is replacing our current LIS with McKesson, and as lead tech in our lab's transfusion service, I have been asked if the hospital should also purchase the Horizon blood bank system.

Any opinions out there as to whether a small transfusion service would benefit from a system such as Horizon?

On a monthly basis, we crossmatch about 45 units, transfuse about 30 units, perform about 80 antibody screens, and about once every two months we send out a positive antibody screen for id. Because we are remote, we have a large inventory for a small hospital, but keeping track of the inventory is easy. We do most billing manually, which takes time.

Would the Horizon system enhance patient safety? There are so many facets to patient safety and computer systems only address a few.

Opinions? Advice?

Yes, purchase it if you can. Computer systems are a huge improvement for patient safety. Just think about ABORh interps, special needs checking, ab-ag checking, compatibility checking. These are things that people can miss that the computer system can doublecheck before the issue of a blood product occurs.

Any FDA approved bbis will make you life easier. I also am going live with McKesson, BUT I am trying not to purchase Horizon only because I can get systems for half their price (good systems too). Remember, the Horizon is not a McKesson product. It is an add on/actually Wingate's SafeTrace Tx. Try to look at other systems - HCLL, Soft come to mind. They all have the bells and whistles - - - you can get equivalent systems for less. Remember, Horizon is NOT a McKesson product - only an add on. My blood bank is about the size of yours.

Edited by David Saikin
added more info