Independent "Level one" pump

mariehelene

I am currently working on a massive transfusion protocol. I heard that there is a blood warmer that we can match with "high speed infusion pump" that can be independent (work on battery during the transfer), especially in case of massive transfusion that has to go to Operating theater. Does anyone have one of these?

Marie

Edited by mariehelene
To make more sense...

I would like to expand the Level One infuser question.....

In normal transfusion situations the blood filter is good for 2 units or 6 hours. What is the consensus for filter life for Massive Transfusion using the Level One rapid infusion?

If they are required to change the infusion set after 2 units I could see the trauma nurses spending more time changing blood filter sets than transfusing the blood products. I'd like to hear from other hospitals that do "massive transfusion".

Thanks for the info. Most of the rapid infuser wich can be working on a battery for transfer do not heat the blood. I guess that it would take too much energy to do so. About the filter question, we do have a policy of 4 hours or 4 units that can go through the filter. The same policy apply for massive transfusion.