Crossmatch Billing

Wannabeboss

I would like to know if you are able to bill for all the different phases of the crossmatch procedure. If I do an AHG crossmatch, can I bill for reading at IS and for reading at 37 and for reading at AHG, with seperate charges? In some situations we read at all phases, but in select situations we only read at AHG (pre-warm for example). Would like to bill correctly! Thanks.

Yes, you can bill for all three different phases of the crossmatch testing that are performed. (86920 = imediate spin, 86921 = incubation, 86922 = antiglobulin.)

Exactly how to accomplish this depends on how sophisticated your LIS (Laboratory Information System) is and how you have things set up. For example, it may be possible for the nursing unit to order one test code for a crossmatch, and the LIS can automatically blow it into the 3 billable codes. Or, it may be possible that the charge for each phase is only generated when a result is reported for that phase. I'm sure there are other set-ups, depending on your computer.

So, you need to deveop a great relationship with your LIS manager and/or your liason in your Information Systems Dept.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...