Genesis Blood Collection Mixer

MVRBC

Hi everyone. I'm a Biomed Tech and work on alot of equipment at the MVRBC. I work on a lot of Blood Collection Mixers. I've got them about 99% figured out because I've been doing repairs for so long, but cannot figure 1 thing out.

I get alot of repair tags saying somthing along the lines of "display zeroes out at end of draw", "when started the display blanks out and turns back on". When the batteries get low they cause the mixer to act funny, but I've gotten these types of service requests with mixers that run on 120 AC. I've also got alot of them saying they were using a new battery pack. I seem to be getting alot of these in with this type of problem more frequently lately.

I test them with our "mock" donor draw, just a saline fluid bag connected to a blood bag and run it a dozen times to find that these mixers work just fine. I can never replicate it.

I've talked to Genesis, but they aren't of any help. They just say its a battery and never heard of such a thing. Some of these are getting to be 7 years old, I'm guessing it's a CPU Board, but who knows. Those are pretty expensive to replace on a chance.

Has any Techs experienced this before or can you ask them about it?

Also, if anyone has questions about theirs, I can probably help.

Thanks,

Steve

• 12 years later...

This is an old topic: I haven't heard of any issues, but experience with electronics seems to point to either an internal chip/board issue or power issue.  In this case, I'd be concerned that the battery connections are getting dirty in the unit, the packs aren't seating properly, or some of the internal power connections are loose or damaged.  For the units with power cords, I'd also check to ensure the power cord connection to the unit isn't damaged or loose.