platelets transfusion

durantee

ist question As the standard can platelets and FFP can be transfused in IVAC pump machine?

2nd question : as AABB standard what is the rate of transfusion reaction or shall I say acceptable percentage. I would like to know please :;;;;;;

thanks so much :D

Edith Durante

Riyadh SaudiArabia

Edith -

Can't help you on the first question. Regarding transfusion reaction rates, I am not aware of any published "acceptable percentages" for reactions. (Please correct me if anyone is aware that such a standard does exist.) I would think it would depend a lot on your what services your facility offers, physician practices, and the type of patients you see (ie: whether primarily trauma cases vs obstetrical vs surgical vs oncology, etc.)

For example, we are heavy on oncology services with chronically transfused patients, but we see an unusually low number of transfusion reactions because we use only leukoreduced platelets and red cell products and our oncologists almost always write orders to premedicate their frequently-transfused patients to prevent reactions.

Several years ago a consultant from The Joint Commission stated that our transfusion rate of 1-2% was too low--she stated that if a community hospital did not have a rate near 10%, then reactions were not being reported. She was not able to provide any literature, nor did she cite us with a deficiency, but that was her statement--For what it is worth.

Bill -

Based on my many (too many!) years of experience, I think the consultant's opinion (or statement, or whatever you want to call it) is WAY out of line. I can't imagine doing dozens and dozens of transfusion reaction workups every month! (Nor have I ever heard of a facility that had anywhere near that rate of reactions.)

Donna

My opinion: on IVAC pumps - if red cells are transfused using them, then platelets and FFP can also go through them. We use Alaris pumps for all blood product transfusions.

I have never found published rates of reactions. However, we include Transfusion Reaction Recognition in our annual nursing competency that all nurses MUST complete. Our rate is 1-2%, and we can provide documentation that our nurses know what a reaction is.