therapeutic plasma exchange

Antrita

I was told yesterday that in-patient dialysis bought equipment for therapeutic plasma exchange and that I needed to provide them with up to 2 liters of thawed plasma in one large bag. Does anyone have experience with this?

Antrita

We have had several instances of treating HUS with plasmapheresis. The usual exchange was 3L. The best we could offer was to give them Jumbo FFP (400ml). They would have to give 8 units (7 Jumbo & and 1 FFP). The dialysis nurse wasn't particularly happy about it but they are usually understanding.

I'vr never heard of a product called Pooled FFP, does this product exist?

We provide FFP or FFP cryo reduced for plasma exchanges. We have given the dialysis team anywhere from 2.5L to 5L at a time. We do not pool it. They have to use the individual bags. There have been no complaints. All three hospitals in our town provide for the exchanges in the same manner.

One bag is the IDEAL product, but you have to follow your facility's protocols and capabilities (do you pool? follow FDA's Bar Code Label Requirements for Human Drug Products and Biological Products; Final Rule [Docket Number 2002N-0204]?) We just add up the volumes of frozen plasma to get as close to the volume needed for patient, thaw, and issue all at once.

We routinely provide pooled plasma for our Therapeutic Apheresis department in order to do Plasma Exchanges. We use it primarily for TTP patients and some Renal rejections. We do pool the plasma in our department into 2L bags. Amount of plasma required is based on patients size and if they are doing a 1.0, 1.5 or 2.0 exchange. Exact volume is given to us by the Apheresis department. We do relabel according to the FDA regulations.

I would definitely get involved to make sure they are meeting any regularatory requirements. We contract with Red Cross so they are AABB inspected. One would have hoped that you would have been in on the early conversations but you obviously weren't.

Thanks, everyone. When I was told about this they told me to just contact our donor center. They were sure that I could a pooled 2L bag of FFP from them. This is not so. At this point I am just going to give them our jumbo FFP which is about 400ml. We are adding a new patient tower with a NICU, I have enough to deal with. I have sent in a registration with the FDA to cover any exchange transfusions for the babies. So this should cover me if I have to pool the plasma.

Antrita

Our dialysis nursing team also do our therapeutic plasma exchanges. They tell us what volume of plasma they want, and, as nanste wrote in an earlier post, we look through our plasma inventory and select units to add up as close to the requested volume as possible, thaw, then issue all at once.

• 2 weeks later...

What is the product code E# (ISBT) for pooled plasma? We also pool plasma for TTP patients. What is the product code number on Hematrax label for pooled plasma because if I know that I can print the label on Soft Bank printer.

What is the product code E# (ISBT) for pooled plasma? We also pool plasma for TTP patients. What is the product code number on Hematrax label for pooled plasma because if I know that I can print the label on Soft Bank printer.

Our wonderful Blood Blood pools our FFP for us. The code for pooled thawed FFP/CP2D is E5309 and the code of pooled thawed cryo reduced plasma/CP2D is E5305.

Would you be willing to share your procedure for pooling in one bag for TPE.

The nurses in our therapeutic apheresis department would love this product.

I will share with our hospital transfusion services.