Transfusion Orders/Order Set

THintz

We are in the process of implementing EPIC as our HIS and would like to build an order set for ordering blood products. We do not currently have a "pre-printed" order form that providers use to order blood products. I would appreciate obtaining examples of order sets that others use (either built in EPIC or as a paper form). If you are willing to share, please fax a copy to 701-780-1897, ATTN: Terri.

Thank You in advance!

Terri

Terri, we just went up on Epic 5 weeks ago. Unfortunately we didn't have a lot of say in how our order sets were built. I will try to find copies to send to you of what we have.

To add to the confusion, we have 4 hospitals on Epic and we have tailored order sets for the docs at different sites.

Our hospital is going live with EPIC for our HIS in August. THe EPIC version we are using does not have a lab module yet, therefore we are interfacing our 15 year old McKesson HBOC and our 6 month old HCLL to EPIC.

We use Sunquest (v6.2) and will interface to EPIC. I've been told that Sunquest and EPIC work well together. Our IS dept. keeps tossing around the idea of "someday" having us switch to EPIC Lab, but until they would have an FDA cleared BB module, it won't happen for us. I'm excited for the switch to EPIC it will be a lot of work, but a favorable change in the end. Currently, I find it a bit difficult to understand and I tend to get a bit frustrated with the fact that I haven't seen enough of an overview of the system, yet I need to determine how these order sets should work and what components they need to have.

We are a Sunquest user interfaced with Epic and it works pretty well. There are some issues that have been more difficult to resolve but overall it is much better than what we had previously. It takes patience in the beginning. One of our nurses recently told a surveyor going live with Epic was a little like a pregnancy. For the first trimester you just want to puke and after that it starts getting better. :)