External alarm system

Eloise

I was wondering if anyone knows of an regulation from the FDA, CAP or AABB that would require us to hard wire an external alarm to another area in the hospital. I'm also wondering what others are doing for their external alarm system.

I work at a small facility, so the tech at night is alone and may be out of the lab for as much as an hour doing AM draws on the wards. We have gone from a hard wired system in which the alarm was hard wired to another area that was manned 24/7, to a new system (with new construction) where we are utilizing a cell phone system (that doesn't seem to be working very well).

Thanks in advance!

Eloise

Item # TRM.42750 from our most recent CAP Inspection Transfusion Medicine Checklist reads as follow:

"Is there an audible alarm for each component storage unit, is the alarm continuously monitored 24 hours per day (in laboratory or remote), and has the response system to an alarm been validated?"

Years ago (when life wasn't so complicated), we had our blood bank refrigerators alarm system wired to also ring in the Telecommunications Department where our telephone operators work, so there was always someone there.

There several thread on this site that discuss the modern alarm systems that are currently available. Seach around and you will find quite a bit of useful information.

Basically if an alarm activates you need to be able to take appropriate actions before the products reach unacceptable temperature (AABB 3.7.1) and initiate a process for immediate investigation and appropriate corrective actions (AABB3.7.3). HOW you actually meet those requriements is not specified and is up to you to determine and document that your process works. If it takes someone an hour to become aware of the alarm situation or if the cell phone notification calls are not completed, it is unlikely anyone would be able to take appropriate actions before the products reach an unacceptable temperature.

I also agree with SMW, ours is a small lab as well though not as small as yours ( we have 4-6 people here at night) so ours is just a " we are staffed 24/7" thing. If the blood banker is out of the lab, then there are several others who are here. I have a remote alarm that the hospital buying group purchased when we built our new building but we are not using it. Apparently since we are wireless and digital it is a bit complex to set up a remote alarm to another area, like the operator. I would say test to see how long your tech is out. If the alarm goes off, how long before unacceptable temp is reached? Is he or she back by that time?