Immucor Echo vs. Galileo

JFRhamy

Does anyone with a volume around 30,000 type and screens per year have experience using the Immucor Echo or Galileo? If so, how many instruments do you use to met your throughput and what is your instument downtime?

Does anyone with a volume around 30,000 type and screens per year have experience using the Immucor Echo or Galileo? If so, how many instruments do you use to met your throughput and what is your instument downtime?

Hi JFRhamy,

We process approx 36,000 samples/ year and have one Galileo and one ECHO. This is generally adequate, but we have had various problems- you need to read other threads on the forum, or you could contact me at the email below.

The best thing to do if considering new automation is to visit a few sites using the preferred equipment - and do this without the manufacturer or supllier being present.

We are on track to hit 35,000 type and screens this year. We have one Galileo and One Echo with both instruments in use (e.g. the Echo is not a "backup" analyzer). Seems to work just fine for us. The Echo is faster than the Galileo, so it is great for STATs and antibody workups but the throughput of the Galileo is much greater than that of the Echo so it is our workhorse for batch testing and routine work. If Immucor ever retro-fits the incubator from the Echo into the Galileo, the Galileo would become a truly awesome analyzer!

• 2 weeks later...

One more question as I don't seem to be able to get a response from Immucor. Can you tell me whether the Galileo and or Echo can read bar codes of multiple lengths in the same batch, i.e. a patient number with 10 digits and one with 16 digits? Thanks for all the help!

JFRhamy - I don't know if the Galileo or Echo can read bar codes of multiple lengths. If no Blood Bank Talk users come up with an anwer for you, why don't you contact another BBT user who has both instruments? Maybe you could send them some of your sample labels and they can see if their instruments can read them. (I would be glad to help you, but I only have an Echo.)

We do approx 35,000 screens a year and have both an Echo and a Galileo. The Galileo has greater through put (much bigger batches) but isn't as quick as the echo. The echo is about 20 minutes faster per batch but the batches are smaller. We run our ID panels, trauma case stats or other emergencies on the echo and everything else on the Galileo. Both instruments are in production use and each can server as a backup for the other as needed.