positive HCV test!

Dear all!

My blood donor is positive with HCV quick tests ( many times with many tests from supliers) but negative with ELISA screening. Does the blood unit that was collected from the blood donor use for transfusion? I get confused and want to know more information about this case. I hope to be shared from all.

My very best wish.

Hieu

Hi,

Any rapid test by any manufacturer can give false positives, just like ELISA ! In addition, due to the lack of specificity , ELISA can be trusted more than any "rapid tests"..

If I had been in your position, I would have gone ahead with NAT for the sake of the Donors interest ....and confirmation....

and for the patients safety, I will never use this Donors blood for transfusion...( as per AABB protocol !)

best wishes !

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Thanks for all ideas. I have checked that sample with NAT, and it was positive.

You see, engeekay was right, better to discard one unit than be in doubt. We too discard any sample coming positive by any (be it rapid, ELISA, etc.) technique. Also, which ELISA kit are you using? This type of result can come due to delay in tesing, sample error, sample storage conditions, technical error, using low sensitivy ELISA kits, etc. There are many good rapid tests available in the market which perform better than some ELISAs.

Amongst all Ortho ELISA seems to be better than the most in the lot.

Thanks for sharing the info.

hieu,

in our situation before use of rapid test is common but right now EIA for screening test is best use. if initial result shows reactive we repeat test. if still reactive we usually refer it to reference laboratory for confirmatory. our algorithm says to repeat test in duplicate if still reactive we refer sample to a reference lab for confirmatory....by the way do you have any other screening test available at your lab or a back up test kit?