Question for the experts

OB08

Hi. I am new to this. I am an OB gyn physician, and I have a question about Rhogam. I donated countless units of blood in different cities along the way and always got cards saying I was O pos. Then after a recent miscarriage my hospital typed me as O neg. I was shocked being ignorant to how complicated Rh can get. Does this mean I am likely to be weak D or partial D? I got rhogam because it seemed to be the safest thing to do. Any thoughts? Thanks

Yup, you are most likely either a weak D or partial D. Donor centers are required to do weak D testing on all donors but most transfusion services have either moved to drop weak D testing or already have on all patients except new borns whose mother is a RhIG candidate. If you go to another hospital that still tests for weak D they will tell you you are Rh positive.

The discrepancy you experienced is one of the reasons a few of our medical directors have been hesitant to drop the weak D testing. They don't want to have to explain the answer to your question.

Good question! We seldom get physicians willing to ask these kind of questions. Their initial assumption is usually somebody made a mistake and they would like to see a head on a pike. :clap: