Mobile Donor Registration

Hello,

Currently investigating other processes for verifying Mobile Donor Registration forms. Need a more timely way to spot units that should not be processed into components and save resources for those that can be processed. Any suggestions.

Thanks.

Paul

Are you asking about the checks to ensure the paperwork is accurate?

We do a review of the paperwork prior to shipping the units with the courier, and catch the vast majority of our errors there. After the mobile drive, the paperwork is sent back to the center and all data entries and reviews are usually completed that evening, or first thing in the morning for later evening drives. Later drives, depending on plasma needs, will likely be held and processed in the am. All the paperwork would have been completely reviewed by then...

Thanks for your reply Debbie.

Sounds like your operation is similar to ours. My concern is that in situations where the components are made before the paperwork is reviewed by QA, we loose time and resources on components that should not have been made and, at times, loose components for time that could have been produced if we had not spent time working on ones that would have to be discarded the next day. Additionally, there are those situations where units could be saved, if we could identify the problem in a more timely manner.

Thanks and Best Regards,

Paul

I think you are asking how do you know if your donors should be deferred when drawn on mobile drives? You should have a deferral list, both your own and your state's (if there is one). Mobile donors should be checked during registration for those deferred. If you should draw one inadvertantly, I would think your computer system would flag the donor upon entry. Years ago I had Cerner's donor system (Pathnet I think). We could not enter a unit drawn from a permanent deferral. So, even if we made components, there was nothing we could do with them but discard them. I do not understand how such occurrences happen today with the sophistication of the donor systems.

Our blood center uses secure laptops for every mobile drive. In each one is a replicated donor database that may be up to (but no older) than 24 hours old. After each mobile the laptops are turned in and the data is updated nightly.

The replicated database allows the mobile staff to perform lookup and print blood donation records. We use the LifeTrak Donor System for this.

Even after medical history is performed on the potential donor, the blood donation record undergoes a secondary review.

All blood donation records then go to our Record Review department for auditing after the components have been checked in. Processing may be done concurrently with auditing. It hasn't been a big issue that collections/components may have been done on ineligible donors since we have so many checks in place.

Hope this helps.:)

I have been toying with the idea of using a (semi) transparent overlay with the expected punched out. By placing it over the sheet I can quickly scan for missed boxes, and questions with both yes and no marked. I guess I would have to have 2, because of teh gender specific questions. My problem so far is the inability of finding legal size transparencies to make the templates.