Automatic Blood Collection Mixers

We currently use the Sebra 1020 and 1040 models of automatic blood collection mixers and are looking at replacing the ones (1020) that we use on our mobiles.

I am interested in looking at something a little more compact and am wondering what your experience has been with the Genesis mixers.

One issue that a recent inspector commented on was the direction the mixer tilts.

End to end... vs. side to side...

the implication being that the end to end provide more effective mixing.

Any comments / opinions / experience / or recommendations you can share?

Thanks!

Deb

HI Deb:

We use the Genesis collection mixers in our fixed site and our mobiles and love them. They are light weight and accurate when weighing. Since they are on the small side, we have bought small stools to place them on next to the beds so the staff doesn't have to bend as much. We have had some sensor problems and problems with the clamp which is just wear and tear of the product and easily repaired. In a years time I would say, 3 of my ten Genesis Collection mixers had had these issues and they are the ones we take out to mobiles. I just think that all the moving and occassional drop or shifting in the van has been contributory to these problems.

Over all, we love them and would recommend them for use.

Deb,

We changed to the Genesis mixer in January of 2005. The mixer has been a great choice for us. We collect 500 mL from most donors. If the donor weighs less than 120 lbs, we collect 470 mLs. The Genesis is VERY accurate and precise. If you would like to call me about specifics, please feel free. We also looked at the Sebra before we decided on the Genesis. We chose the Genesis because we felt it was more accuate (+/- 1 gram!), more user friendly, sturdier, and would take up less space on our mobile set ups. From the beginning we decided to purchase hard-sided cases for our mixers. The cases hold two mixers per case. We use batteries on our mobile operations and the battery cases hold 10 batteries. The cases have been a wise investment. Our mixers have had very little problems.

Connie Raichart

Administrator Donor Services Projects

Indiana Blood Center

3450 N. Meridian Street

Indianapolis, IN 46208

317-916-5217

• 2 years later...

Plenty....depending on how many you are ordering. I don't know if you have looked at any other models, but I just returned from AABB and found the mixer from MacoPharma looked pretty similar. Not sure of the pricing, but if you are thinking about just the basic (no data collection) features, they are having a sale through the end of the year.

• 2 months later...

We have had 2 Genesis collection/mixers for 10 years. We only collection autologous units, so they don't get as much wear-and-tear as those used on regular blood mobile collections. Never-the-less, we have not had a single problem with either of them, other than replacing the rather expensive batteries a couple times. They are extremely accurate, and so helpful (especially when having a difficult or slow collection.) We love them!

Donna