Autologous Platelet Gels

n.peters

Does anybody have any experience with autologous platelet gels. Our facility is going to use them for peri-operative procedures and they are wondering if blood bank needs to be involved. The blood is collected from the patient and then a commercial kit is used to create the gel.

Look in the AABB Perioperative Standards for Autologous Blood Collection 3rd Ed. I hope I named that correctly. I'm not in front of my computer with the file containing the AABB standards. Anyway, you'll find the information you need to set up the quality and competency for this procedure. Typically, a perfusionist performs the procedure during open heart surgery or back surgeries in the hospital setting. In a Dentist office or any other physician office, a qualified person in phlebotomy such as a trained phlebotomist, nurse or physician and under the direct supervision of a physician should draw the blood. The physician can then direct a qualified individual that is medically trained to operate the equipment to process the blood. Make no mistake, this is a blood processing procedure and there may be medical practice acts that cover who is qualified by education and clinical competence as monitored by Joint Commission to be performing this procedure in your state. Treat this procedure as such. Joint Commission will soon be looking for compliance to safe medical practices directly on this procedure. Hope this helps.