Meditech users -- Specimen Expiration in 5.6

With 5.6.2 there is a new feature to allow multiple specimen expirations in BB.

I’d like to create a rule for this (to enter on page 3 of the Customer Defined Parameters).

Specifically, we have pre-op patients who we will draw up to 2 weeks prior to surgery, if they haven’t been transfused or pregnant within 3 months. They sign a form for this. I was hoping to have a ‘T-type’ test for the BB Techs to answer, “Pre-op form signed?†and based on an answer Y/N, the expiration date would change, or be limited. However, Meditech tells me this is not possible, that instead it must be an order query and the rule is invoked when the order is placed.

At this point I am not comfortable placing this as a query on BBK orders (just one more query for the nursing units to deal with, also it would require the ambulatory surgery nurses making sure this form is completed correctly, and getting it to us, etc. While I am sure they can do this, I’d prefer to keep the control within the BB, though I could change my mind...)

If a query or t-type test won’t be possible, instead I’d like edits to the specimen expiration date to go to the override warning, where the techs could document that the pre-op form was signed.

Has anyone created a BBK Specimen Expiration rule dealing with this or similar issues that they could share?

Thanks,

Linda Frederick, MT(ASCP)

Linda,

I have "played" with this feature in preparation for our next upgrade. We are a multi-facility system. One hospital does similarly to yours, but we only allow a 7 day window. The other facilities do NOT allow this (too much confusion for generalist to keep up with.) Here is what I am hoping will happen. When the documentation arrives indicating that the patient is not/has not been pregnant or transfused in the last 3 months, at that time, the BBK tech will change the expiration date of the specimen (with this new enhancement) and include our specific comments we have used for these patients, on the patient's requisition in the BBK.

We are looking forward to being able to change the expiration date to further in the future. Historically, we have had to override the warnings indicating the specimen has expired when we have used these older specimens.

anti

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have another question or two related to this... (Has anybody got this working?)

Did you change your settings in Customer Defined Parameters for the "BBK Autorelease XM" hours, etc. ?

What about your Customer Defined OE/NUR parameters for XM add on hours?

It seems that Meditech provided this new 'enhancement' to allow us to extend specimen expiration hours, without making it available in all of the areas we need it. Am I missing something here?

Thanks,

Linda

I have'nt looked into this but under the knowledge base there is an article about what you want it to do.

It is number 28135 or if you do a search for Expire AND hours it will be at the top.

Lets us know if you figure anything out.

Edited by Seveets

Did you change your settings in Customer Defined Parameters for the "BBK Autorelease XM" hours, etc. ?

What about your Customer Defined OE/NUR parameters for XM add on hours?

Thanks,

Linda

1. I wonder if you could use the Set/Reset Crossmatch Not Available menu to reattach the unit if it expires. We would not keep units crossmatch on a pre-admit patient but instead would crossmatch that day if needed.

2. Since technically the OE/NUR side did the original ordering (pre-admit testing) would they feel the need to add on to it. I guess if the patient went sour they would. We are a very small hospital and they would probably call us and we would do the add-on.

I worry about changing the add-on hours as they would represent a global change that would impact on all patients. You might find yourself canceling and re-ordering (on a new specimen) all kinds of blood bank work.

We do not allow direct ordering. Instead, there is a message called request for testing/products in OE. The nurses or ward clerks just type in what the doc ordered. For our 10 days, the preop nurses use a canned text that tells us the patient is not pregnant and has not been transfused in the last 90 days. If t hat is true, we give them a 10 day specimen expiration and then add any units the day before surgery. We do get override messages pop up when we add the crossmatch, but we asnwer yes to them. I guess now we won't get an override message!