TRM.30882 Evaluating Suppliers

bevydawn

I am just about finished with my CAP checklist but I am confused about this question. It wants to know if the transfusion service has a "mechanism for evaluating and selecting suppliers of critical materials". I'm not really sure how to address this as we have been using the same suppliers since long before I was here. At my last inspection the inspector put it on the recommendation sheet but did not elaborate, she merely just copied the question. I realize that as a recommendation it's not a major concern but fear this years inspector may have problems with it also. I was off on maternity leave so I did not get the oppurtunity to discuss it with her and what she felt this particular question was asking for. Can anyone tell me how they are addressing this question? Thanks for any help!

Assuming you have defined your critical materials . . . what I do is record how many times things I order are backordered/delivered on time/not available. I found this particularly effective in evaluating my blood supplier. As an example, if I ordered 4 O= rbcs, but they could only supply 1, I would document this. They would put down that they fulfilled my order because I accepted the 1 unit. However, at the end of the year I forwarded them my qualtiy review of their service . . . they were not happy since I showed that they fulfilled <50% of my O= requests (vs their documentation of 100%).

Hope this helps.

• 3 months later...

We have a policy and procedure for supplier selection in our QS manual. Alot of it revolves around the policies and procedures from Materials Management. We developed a form to send to the manufacturer that includes all of their regualtory information. We went back a did this retrospectively when we implemented our Quality Plan.