Autologous Units- reading barcode

We have had to set the ISBT128 code without the last 3 characters. A homologous E0311 must be set up as E0311 not E0311V00 in order for the scanner to recognize the barcode. This means that I cannot set up the corresponding autologous unit to read. Does anyone have any suggestions?

:confused:

In the newer versions of Meditech, the Intended Use characters should have been hard coded in the system and default in when you scan the unit. There should not be a need to create separate Meditech codes for Autologous, Directed, etc. If this is not happening in your system then you need to take this up with the vendor. It should have been loaded.

We go into the Other Info screen and add the auto lower case L manually. We get all LR red cells except for auto, so that helps us tell them apart for statistics etc.

We are on 5.61 magic. I haven't heard of any newer versions that can handle this. Do you know the DTS# to make this change?

Watch out for Meditech statistics programs. They might not capture all your new product codes so your counts will be way down.

And irradiating an aliquot?? Oh, my!

Maybe you have Sunquest? We have the same problem. What we have done is use the E codes to name all our products (Ennnn). This works for everything except Autologous, Directed, and Splits. For Auto/Dir, we use EAnnn for Auto (100 or A00 - our supplier uses 100), EXnnn for Biohazard Auto (X00), and ED for directed (200 or D00 - our supplier uses 200).

For splits, we use the last two characters of the product code and the four numbers of the E code (with Sunquest we can only use up to six characters for product code). So if we split an E0382V00 in a closed system into two parts, we would have E0382VA0 and E0382VB0. Our codes for the splits would be A00382 and B00382. If one of the divided units was further split - such as a syringe taken off the B0 unit, it would become E0382VBa and our code would be BA0382.

We can scan the product codes for Auto and Directed and all is well. However, we can't yet for the split unit, so we have to type those in. A future update for Sunquest (available now I think) does have the ability to scan the last two characters (00, A0, Ba, etc.). So when we get that update, we will add them to the Bar code dictionary, but we won't change our component codes.

Hope this is helpful. Belva Sipherd:)

We have had to set the ISBT128 code without the last 3 characters. A homologous E0311 must be set up as E0311 not E0311V00 in order for the scanner to recognize the barcode. This means that I cannot set up the corresponding autologous unit to read. Does anyone have any suggestions?

:confused:

When we went live on C/S v5.54, I had multiple problems in decoding ISBT barcodes, very similar to what you are experiencing, including needing the last 3 chars of the product code. The problem was eliminated when I rebuilt my calculations in the dictionary.

We are on 5.61 Magic. Can you tell us the DTS that allows Meditech to read the extended part of the product code barcode? I had been told that this was not possible.

When we log in autos, we manually add the lower case L in Other Data so it is flagged as auto.

We keep track of autos by the fact that they are the only RBCs we get that aren't LR.

I understand statistics aren't working too well in MT for ISBT due to the product code changes etc. I haven't run into the problem yet--probably because of how simply we do our statistics.

The system I have seen this in is Meditech CS 5.5. Initially the system did not recognize the Intended Use characters. When the client called the vendor, they were able to populate the Donation Types into the system. I don't know if it is done in a DTS that is accessed by the client. However, now that it was "fixed" by Meditech, we are able to scan in Autologous and Directed units that are recognized as such from the bar code. Perhaps this is not a feature of Magic.