Billing for Acrodose Platelet Pools

djd10ec

We are in the processing of implementing the Pall Acrodose PLus System to produce 5 day/leukoreduced/BDS tested pooled platelets.

I am trying to figure out exactly how to bill for this new product. As a donor center, we do not currently produce or shipped any type of pooled products as this is normally done by our clients.

Is anyone else out there producing this type of blood product and if so, how are you billing for it?

• 3 months later...

We made an agreement with our customers that we will charge them full price on all pooled platelets that are >=3.0 x 10^11 ($400.00) and ($240.00) pooled platelets <3.0 x 10^11. So we have to attach a tag to indicate the platelet count of the pooled platelets.

• 8 months later...

The question I would have is outbound - what HCPCS should I attach to the product for billing insurance? (I believe the plan is for the blood collection service to pool four randoms if that were to matter)

K Krabill, MD

Buffalo NY