Does anyone else feel like they are implementing a process they don't completely understand? The more I work with the ISBT the more I find I'm lost it seems. We have Cerner Classic and it does not seem that Cerner Classic will be able to accomplish what we need. We are a level one trauma center with a very active NICU and our process for making aliquots does not seem that is is going to be workable with ISBT. Does anyone else have suggestions, ideas, comments on how to make the higher ups realize that Cerner Classic while a good system we need to upgrade.

Pat I don't know if you can help but I would love to email you a few questions and see if you have any insights. If you can help let me know and I will gladly email you.

Monica

• 1 year later...

There are certainly a lot of specifics for ISBT128 with different codes based not only on product and attributes such as Irradiation and Leukoreduction, but also anticoagulant/additive used for collection, size of bag, open or closed system, etc. But now that we have it up and running, it seems most of the time to be just fine - however there can certainly be more instances when blood is imported by your blood supplier with different codes than are normally used by your supplier (particarly based on anticoagulant/additive and size of bag).

Good luck with your implementation.

Belva

I have Cerner Millenium and we can't get ISBT 128 fully functional either. From what I understand, only the newest version (which of course we don't have) reads IBST 128 accurately for all fields. In our version we get the product codes to read, but then it gives us an error and won't let us accept the unit into inventory. So we go back and enter that one manually and it works...quite cumbersome and prone to the tech picking the wrong product code in error.

We're looking at new BB computer systems now; hopefully that will take care of the issue. We are having so many other problems with Cerner, that we don't want to upgrade further.