Computer Programs for BB Quality/Variences

Pailloz

I was wondering if anyone is using any sort of standardized programs to collect data on the various internal events/varience/incidents/situations (whatever you call them) ?

Most of this data is Blood Bank specific and internal: does not really fit into the hospitals definitions of risk events/incidents.

Anyone heard of the MIDAS system? or is anyone using anything else to track and trend internal variences?

My hospital uses Midas to record untoward events. I use it as well for Blood Bank events. The program has quite a few negative aspects. The one that bugs me is when you make an entry, it doesn't not send a notification to the location involved.

You have a very elaborate, home-rolled, MS Access database application for our tracking and trending of quality issues, specimen rejections, complaints, just about anything. It evolved over a 3 year period but has greatly improved our ability to mine data and since it is "home rolled" it fits our operation like a glove.

We have written our own in house system, using an Oracle database with an MS Access Front End. It covers accessioning and tracking of events with the ability to associate them with Root Cause analysis and corrective actions. One can also store links to documents related to the Events. The software includes a tasks manager that mails Microsoft Outlook tasks to those to whom they are assigned. It also provides the ability to look up data in our vendor-provided blood bank information system as well as provide a comprehensive report of information pertaining to an event, including linked documents, blood bank system information, root causes and corrective actions.

The system requires initial login and login each time data is added, modified or deleted. It provides security via user-defined roles. All modifications to the database, including code table changes, are audited. When a record is deleted, its contents is audited so that one can determine what was in it.

Stephen J. Levine, MD

Oklahoma Blood Institute

Oklahoma City, OK.

• 2 years later...
I was wondering if anyone is using any sort of standardized programs to collect data on the various internal events/varience/incidents/situations (whatever you call them) ?

Most of this data is Blood Bank specific and internal: does not really fit into the hospitals definitions of risk events/incidents.

Anyone heard of the MIDAS system? or is anyone using anything else to track and trend internal variences?

Hello,

I just now ran across this question 6 years after it was posted. The small hospital that I work at is now going to begin using their MIDAS module for transfusion tracking. Apparently they have the MIDAS program and have used it for other Quality Assurance monitoring, but have never opened the transfusion module.

Once I begin using it I will post again on how useful it is.