Norlake Freezer

Kitty Petershagen

• 6 months later...

I contacted Norlake recently regarding a walk-in refrigerator. After several telephone discussions and a few emails wherein we exchanged information and specifications, the salesman dropped off the face of the earth (so to speak). Thus my one and only experience with that company was rather poor.

Hello,

I am a lab equipment rep, though not for Norlake, and I'm not necessarily defending the rep's handling of your inquiry. But, working with a manufacturer's rep or distributor is a two way street. My goal is to determine whether I have a match for the customer's needs as quickly as possible, then provide the tech specs and pricing necessary to move the discussion forward. Were your interactions with the company heading toward a quotation? Were you trying to match preferred specs from another vendor? It could be that the specs you were trying to achieve could not be met by a Norlake product. In that case, the rep should have responsibly bowed out of the discussion, not disappeared. It is also possible that the lead information was fumbled. I don't know how far you went in attempting to contact the rep - I know the rep should want to make a sale (and we do), but the customer also wants choices, where possible - that two way street again. Bottom line - customers shouldn't be left hanging, in any scenario.

Well, I contacted three vendors (Gem, Jewette and Norlake) and sent them all identical packets of information which included the general size, rough sketch of layout, features desired (e.g. redundant air-cooled compressors) and requested quotes.

I received quotes from Gem and Jewette in short order and after several telephone conversations with the sales rep from Norlake to answer his additional questions the ball got dropped. While I do agree with you in principle, such was not the case here. I did obtain multiple quotes as each vendor clarified the feature sets they were offering and then decided to go with the unit from Gem.

My opinion stands.

Well, as a rep, I certainly could not have asked for more than you provided for an opportunity and, since I do seel refrigeration as one of my product lines, your information is all I would've needed to get you a quote. I agree with your conclusion that the rep dropped the ball - his loss. I wish all my customers were as organized as you. :)