ABS2000 Users?

Hello, Colleagues!

We are an academic medical center with a (possibly-on-its-last-legs) Immucor ABS2000. We've been having a high percentage of "Invalids" for reasons that do not appear to have a relationship with the age of the device nor its (very good )care.

We have come to believe that there are reagent red cell problems, though the supplier is pretty adamant that there are NOT. We are centering our concerns on the shipment of cells through geographic areas of extreme temperature without benefit of insulation or coolant packs. (I suppose that you've all noticed the Warming of America! Does anyone recall that most products were kept cool in transit during the Dark Ages of Blood Banking?) Perhaps the extremity of temperature is having a detrimental effect? We don't know. But we would like to hear from any other ABS2000 users for whom machine performance has been an issue lately, but no mechanical problems have been detected.

We are obliged...

Alan Hoffstadter, MT(ASCP)SBB

We've been using our ABS2000 since 1999 and have experienced the occasional problem with reagents but not often. The most recent turned out to be a problem with a lot of indicator cells but that was earlier this spring and I can't see how shipping conditions were the cause, it was cool and mild then.

Oddly enough I just was informed that we have been seeing an increase in "invalids" recently and it has been unusually warm in June and July here in norther Utah. When we checked with Immucor they indicated our percentage of invalids was better than most but did not express a lot of concern. It appears to be the control cells that are giving us the current problem.

On a side note, we've got our paperwork in for an ECHO. Can't wait to get my hands on it.

We have a Galileo and had serious trouble last summer with cooked indicator cells. I had a little trouble getting the customer service people to understand that summer in Phoenix is from May thru Sept. Now all shipments during that time period come on ice.

We have 2 ABS intruments and have experience problems with CCC negative on multiple occasions on both instruments. My understanding is that Immucor went to a new formulation CCC's in April / May 2007. Our repeat rate was close to 50%, so we stopped using the ABS until we had preventive maintenance performed on both and received a new lot # of CCCs. The new lot # had the same problem. As of June 13th, we received another lot # of CCCs that is from the original formulation. Since the receipt of the new lot received on June 13th, our repeat rate due to invalid CCCs decreased to less than one invalid screen due to CCCs / day. A this time, we are seeing the number of CCCs invalid increasing - Immucor has been notified, but no new action has been taken by Immucor. We are keeping them posted. From my point of few, this is a CCC's problem and Immucor has yet to fix it. We too are looking at different automation / reagent system, but I'm not sure that what is out there is any better. I'm just hoping that it is not any worse.

We too have an ABS 2000 that is giving numerous invalids that are very random in which control cell does not react. Service did not resolve the problem. Immucor has asked us to send them the files of these problems and to be sure that the stir balls are not handled, but dispensed from the dispenser. It sounds like they are getting numerous complaints and with luck, the problem will be resolved soon.

We have had two ABS2000 instruments for many years. Late last year we noticed an increase in invalid results and the number of invalid results has continued to increase to the present time. Immucor service has worked on the instruments several times during this time period, replaced readers, other parts but to no availe. We have been told by Immucor for some time that the control cells are the problem.

Regarding shipping, this certainly could be part of the problem but since we have been having the problem for many months, probably not the root cause. Immucor seems unable to correct the problem. At times, the problem has been significant enough for the techs to go on manual solid phase in lieu of utilizing the instruments.

David Linnemeyer MT(ASCP)SBB

New Orleans