Transfusion Committee Meeting

upatel

Hello everyone,

I am a Blood Bank supervisor in a small 200-bed hospital in New Jersey. Last year our transfusion committee meeting was changed to Lab Committee meeting and the meetings were held every quarter. We have Blood Bank Director and Co-laboratory director. The laboratory directory wants a written document or standard in order to have quarterly blood bank meetings. Is there a regulation or standard in order to have quarterly meetings? Any suggestions? Is Transfusion committee meeting is mandatory? (Blood Bank Director and I think that we have to have Blood Bank meetings but the Co-Director needs a written proof.)

Thanks

:confused:

AABB Standards (24th ed) 8.2 says "Transfusin facilities shall have a peer-review program that monitors and addresses transfusion practices for all categories of blood and components." This is followed by a list of activities to be monitored.

Peer review means the hospital's physicians must be involved. My experience is that it is very difficult to get the physicians involved and committed to attending the meetings. The time frame is not specified, but I feel quarterly is the minimum number of annual meetings - with fewer than that nothing is really ever going to be accomplished.

I believe JCAHO has a standard that applies specifically to Trans Comm. They may be rolling it in with Tissue Comm now. Check with your hospital QA/QI or Risk Management team. The Medical Executive Comm may also need input - our Trans Comm reports to Med Exec. Finally, see if Administration can check the hospital's charter/license. Some states have requirements for standard committees that hospitals need.