platelet storage

Kwenz

We just finished a CAP inspection. I had a disagreement with the inspector about alarm settings on my platelet incubator. It was set to alarm at 20 and 24 degrees. She said that was unacceptable, that I needed to have the alarms sound at 20.1 and 23.9 because if the temp hit 24 I would have to discard all the platelets. Needless to say she won but I still disagree. If AABB says the storage range is 20-24 degrees why would you have to throw out platelets if the temp hits 24? What temps do others have their alarms set at?

Actually the assessor did not need to "win". You could have smiled graciously, agreed to disagree and then in your response to AABB plead your case. If I'm not mistaken the standards read that the alarm needs to sound so as to give you time to take appropriate action. If the alarm goes off at 24oC or 20 oC and it is monitored 24/7 you should have plenty of time to take action unless the incubator has magically coverted it self to either a heater or refrigerator. Remember 20-24oC is the range formerly known as "Room Temp."

Thanks for this discussion. I just went and changed my set points because this really did make sense when you think about the set points for refrigerators.

I agree that you would have plenty of time to remove your platelets and place them in a suitable temperature range. But I figured why not change my set points and be done with it!

Thanks again!