Pooling FFP in HCLL

BACKGROUND: We had the best practices databases loaded standard at our site in Denver, CO - but had some difficulties getting thawed FFP to successfully pool. We had always been attempting to pool thawed FFP. We had been starting with FFP 18201 and have been successful in thawing to FFT 18900. The problem arose in the last half of the pooling process - where the drop down did not work to display the pooled FFT product 18900 as a new product code for pooled plasma.

The steps that we took to fix this:

*Product Code File Maintenance: a product code had to be built for 18291 Fresh Frozen Plasma Pooled

THIS TABLE WAS CONFIGURED AS: Facility; Product code = 18291; Product Code Des = Fresh Frozen Plasma Pooled; Component Class = 040; Product Group = FFP; Product Cellular = N; Check Truth Table = N; Calculation = N; Expiration Hours = 4; Product Expiration = H; Allow Mod = Y; Unit of Measure = mL; Automatic = Y; Codabar = 18291; Split Exp = 4; Split = Y

*Product Process File Maintenance: this part was in place showing product code 18900 associated with process PLS-A

*Product Process System File Maintenance: the 'system' had to be built for product code 18900 undergoing process PLS-A to become product code 18291

THIS TABLE WAS CONFIGURED AS: Facility; Product Code = 18900; Process Code = PLS-A; System = OPEN; New Product Code = 18291; Change Exp = Y; Exp = 4; Product Exp = H

For more tips and tricks like this...

VISIT: http://www.hcllusers.org

I can't help but I do have a question. Why are you pooling FFP? That's a new one for me.

At one facility that I worked, we were required to pool FFP if it was for a plasma exchange. That was new for me too, everywhere else I worked just sent the individual units, even for an exchange. Seemed like a big waste of our time.

Thanks for the info on pooling FFP in the HCLL system. I am not yet on the HCLL system, but I had tried and failed to be able to pool FFP in the old Hemocare system. This info will be very useful when we do convert to HCLL.

We pool FFP or CPP for plasma exchanges - just to be nice!!