Donor Screening& Sickling test

The Blood Bank Facility that I work in has a new policy concerning Donor Screening& Sickling test.

Adapting to a cost containment program that has been recently developed, the Donor clinic nurse or blood bank technologist performs the sickling test from a fingerstick Specimen.

For first time donors,we prick the donor's finger and collect 20 microliters of blood, place it in the sickling test reagent and read after 10 minutes.

A heparinized microtainer is also collected from the same puncture site,sealed and centrifuged using a Microhematocrit centrifuge to get the Donor's Hematocrit.

I am interested in knowing what other Blood Bank Facilities are doing regarding Donor Screening& Sickling test.

Are there any other new cost containment ideas out there?!:tongue:

• 2 years later...

well hello rania, its good to know that is sombody here from my home town, iam working in eastern province...what about u?

about ur Q...actually we dont do any sickling test for the donors unless when the blood ordered as sickel cell negative unite and that work well for us...

keep in touch

Rania, I know that it is required to sickle screen all your donors in saudi arabia. There are some reagents that I know that uses 10 ul of blood only (by STRECK). Please check their website. Hope this will help.

Hi there !

I am also attached to a saudi hospital . Where I am working , the protocol followed is :

-Do the FP first for doing the grouping / typing alongwith haemoglobin concentration !

-Do the "test for sickling" alongwith the "grouping confirmation from the segments", in the laboratory ! That means, the technologist who is doing the ABO confirmation will be responsible for the "sickle test"

-And for serology etc etc, pilot tubes are available...

This gives me a chance to clarify with "you " something...

why is it that some saudi hospital blood banks are still , rejecting blood donors who are positive for "sickle test" and "G6PD" ? Is there any specific regulation in SAUDI or is it just a matter of "over cautiousness " ?

Sorry that I am asking a counter question for a question asked ......

:confused::confused::confused:

:):):)

best wishes ...

We perm. defer donors with positive sickle (we use Streck) due to the fact that they almost never filter properly and we are a 100% leuko-reduced donor center. Obviously no idea about SA engeekay, but that is why we defer.