road block for unit DATs

bevydawn

I agree with everything everyone said about my previous question about unit DATs, but here's my problem...the old BB supervisor (who still works here) says that it is required because in the product insert of antigens tested by an indirect method it states that they can not be accurately tested on blood with a positive DAT. Because I am the new guy here, I have to prove that my argument holds merit and that we are wasting our time, that just because that is stated doesnt mean it is a requirement. Any suggestions or words of wisdom?!?

Do you do either an auto control or DAT as part of your antibody ID. If so then you have addressed the package insert. A positive DAT will give you a false POSITIVE not a false negative. ( used the word false because I could not think of a better one but I do realize that it is not completely accurate. ;>)) As long as your antibody screen is negative, no worrys. I have never heard of a positive DAT masking an allo-antibody resulting in a negative antibody screen. Has anyone else? I would be surprised if you can find one other person who has interpreted the package insert in the same manner is has been at your facility.

One other point. The old supervisor is just that, the old supervisor. You don't have to convince them of anything. It's the medical director you need to convince. When I arrived at my current position the "acting" supervisor stayed around for about a year and didn't like the changes I was making so she quit transfusion and became a night tech. The change that was the final straw was when I brought in automation. She couldn't accept it so she left.