salary information

STUARTR

Hi.

We are looking to some restructuring within our department. We are a Hospital based Blood Donor Center that does in house collections and mobile

blood drives. One of the things we need to look into is salary structure. If anyone can help me out I would appreciate it. If you prefer to keep

your responses confidential, please e-mail me off list.

If anyone knows of a web site or publication that lists the information that would help also.

Thanks,

Stu Rosenhaus

Blood Donor Recruiter

New York Methodist Hospital

We are looking for salary information for the following positions:

Phlebotomist/ Blood Donor Tech

Apheresis Technician

Donor Recruiter/Account Manager - Entry Level

Donor Recruiter/Account Manager - 5+ years experience

SIte Manager/Program Coordinator

You can also try the ADVANCE.COM salary pole and the new MLO salary surveys also available on line. Both of these are regionalized and broken down into urba and rural.

Good Luck - if you find some good staff make sure you keep them happy

The AABB salary information is antiquated. Salary depends on the state, city or region. There are also state requirements that will affect your decision. In Los Angeles we pay RN's in the 60,000 - 70,000 annual range and we have a stae requirement that we must have an RN on site where we collect and only a licensed staff member can do therapeutic phlebotomy. Brian

Brian.Cook@providence.org

• 2 months later...

I ran into a post on this forum that ran back about a year ago in which someone said, "You can't pay people differently for performing the same job!". Am I totally off base or is this statement very inaccurate.

I work for an organization that has a different salary scale for MTs and MLTs, which I would guess is pretty much par for the course in a laboratory. Many of these techs are performing exactly the same functions. Our job descriptions of the two differ to some extent since the MT is described as having some administrative responsibilities. But the bottom line is that when an MT and an MLT come to work, in some cases they sit side by side and a casual onlooker would see no difference in their performance or work duties. A few years ago I had an MLT quit because she knew that an MT with the same time in was doing the same job as her at a higher pay rate.

Is there a consensus that everything being equal, MTs should be paid more than MLTs? As far as I'm concerned it's a given.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Equal pay for equal job. If an MLT is performing all the same tasks as a MT, then they must receive the same wages according to the law. However, if a MT must reveiw the work of an MLT and this is stated in their job descriptions, then the pay structure can be different. I may be off base with this, however, when I was a supervisor and writing job descriptions, it was imperitive that the tasks and responsibilities be spelled out for each position and education requirements to perform that job.

A couple of years ago, my manager designed a career ladder for MLTs. After 5 years of employment and meeting some qualifications (demonstrating leadership, thorough problem solving ability, performing tasks over and above the job description), an MLT may apply for advancement. The new job description and pay are identical to those of an MT.