Red Cell Loss Tracking

Currently we track the following for our plateletpheresis donors:

RBC loss for prior 56 days

RBC loss for prior 365 days

Plasma loss for current donation

Plasma loss for prior 365 days.

We are considering dropping the RBC loss for the prior 56 days and switching that to RBC loss for current donation.

Is anyone else tracking the RBC loss for the prior 56 days?

• 3 weeks later...

We currently track RBC loss on platelet donors for a rolling 12 months. For the donor center, we don't track it on those donors who only donate WB b/c they can't go over it. We ask donors if they have donated anything in the past 16 weeks to cover all basis including double red cells. It has been a pain with committed donors doing both wb and plt. they tend to get near to the FDA RBC loss cut off.

Cliff,

It can be really perplexing to know if you are doing too much or too little. But we too use a tracking sheet that allows us to see RBC and plasma loss (as well as the number of platelet donations) within a rolling 12 month period for our apheresis donors. (any WB donation/ apheresis samples /qns, etc would be logged on this sheet anyway). I guess we don't worry about the past 56 days as our apheresis machines have an extracorporeal volume of <100ml, which allows us to collect plasma in 28 days from a whole blood and/or platelets in 48 hours from a WB. Of course, any RBC collection has to wait until the 56 day (or 116 if double RBC) is up.....I've attached our tracking form and SOP in the event you might like to see someone else's imagination at work......D

5354 Tracking Loss SOP.doc

Thanks for the replies. I developed an Access database that our pheresis center uses to track the items I listed in the first post. It calculates the losses for the last 56 days as well as the last year, it also gives a count of the number of successful collections. Warning messages are also printed if they get close to our limits, or go over them.

So I am not worried about the work it takes to track the info, but to see if others are tracking the 56 days loss at all. We collect an occasional granulocyte or leukopack from these donors, and they often come close to what we allow for 56 days which is 221 ml.

Our Medical Director is considering dropping the 56 day tracking. I wanted to present some alternatives, it is my preference to continue to collect this information and act on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Deb,

Thanks for posting your SOP and form for tracking red cell loss. This has been an interesting thread as our donor center has expanded its apheresis collections and we have donors eager to give to the point we have to make sure no one gives too often. (good problem to have, I guess).

Cliff,

I would like to know more about the Access program you set up, as we use Access for several things and are getting more comfortable with it.

Ray Smith

I am in the process of revising the database we use.

For the end user it is rather simple, they enter the donors ID number and if they have been in the database before it displays their name, if not they need to enter them. There is no link between this database and any other LIS, it is completely stand alone.

Then they enter a few standard parameters, they select a donation type (radio buttons), they enter the current hemoglobin, sample volume, we collect leukopacks so they enter that volume, plasma loss, date of donation (today is defaulted) and donation number.

At the end of this entry they print a report that lists the items I wrote in the first post.

There are many custom controls specific to our facility. Someone with moderate Access building experience can probably find these items and modify them.

I’ll be happy to post it here if people are interested. I can’t create a customized version for everyone. If you are interested in having it set up for your facility e-mail me and let me know and we’ll work something out.

Some of the big drawbacks are Access is not stable in a shared environment, we have moved ours to an application server that IS controls. Prior to that it was on a shared drive and it became corrupted occasionally. Also, access to the program is controlled at the drive level, so the application does not track who does what, to me that is huge. FDA has seen it twice and has not had concerns with that issue.

I have considered making this into a web-based product, that would eliminate all of my concerns and make it useful for many more people.