TRM.41300

Logan51

Hello, I am preparing for an upcoming CAP inspection and I am wondering how other people interpret the "Special Transfusion Requirements (if warranted)" section of TRM.41300?  My thinking is that requirements-checks for transfusionists should be limited to items that would be listed in an order to transfuse, such as "infuse over 2 hours" but would not include lab-specific items such as E-Negative. If that's the case, are there people who train their transfusionists to read product labels and confirm irradiation or washed requirements?

Thank you in advance for any insight

I read this requirement as referring back to TRM.40720 and that if the patient has special requirements that blood bank has to provide that nursing checks that the unit fulfills that requirement. So if the patient requires Irradiated blood that the unit is truly irradiated or if the patient needs HgbS negative units that the unit is in fact HgbS negative.

We update the patient record if Irradiated, CMV Neg, etc. blood is needed.  The computer alerts tech if trying to allocate unit that does not meet criteria.  It can be overrided but it goes on a QA log and if it is used requires a deviation form. It prints on Unit Tag and we read when issuing.