Sorvall CW2 thoughts?

erikad

I chose to replace my CW2 cell washer with a Helmer Ultra CW. The old CW2 had never been doing a good job for us when using PeG enhancement (which is our backup for the Echo) - too many check cell failures. The old cell washer did not agitate during the wash process which I think is a major disadvantage. Does the current Sorvall model agitate?

We use the Sorvall CW2+ here. It does what it needs to do, and to answer AMcCord's question it does agitate after each part of the wash cycle. The only thing with the CW2+ is that after the last wash the cell button isn't completely dry so we end up have to centrifuge the tubes after the last wash and manually decant off the excess saline to get a dry button. I have also used the Helmer CW in the past and wanted to get it here but the CW2+ was cheaper so.... but other than it not leaving a dry cell button I have no other issues with the CW2+.

Thank you!  We currently use PEG as our back up to the echo as well.  Gkloc, we currently have 1 Helmer CW but are in need of a 2nd cell washer and budget is a concern and why we are looking at Sorvall.  Do you have issues with the use of PEG and check cell failures as well with your Sorvall?

We also use the Sorvall CW2+ and have issues with the we cell button and overall a very wet interior at the end of a 4-wash cycle. But in that we only use it for DATs and LISS or saline workups (3rd and 4th priority in methods of testing) I doubt we will replace it soon.

We currently do not use PEG here, we only use LISS. With the check cells as long as we centrifuge the tubes again after the last wash and decant the saline to get a dry cell button I haven't seen or had any of my techs mention to me about the check cells failing.