eliminating platelet estimates

snydercl

Thinking outside of the box here...............

Does anyone not do platelet estimates (when determined there is no platelet clumping)?  The analyzer is far more accurate than I.  Plus, when my count is not within our range, I have to recount so that it is closer the analyzer count. 

For a routine smear review, we only do a rough look.  We do not bother with calculations or precise counts.  Partly because any count you do on a smear is going to be dependent on the relative number of RBCs in the field anyway, so that a "precise" estimate for, say an anemic person, is going to look higher than it actually is anyway. 

I mean, an estimate is just an estimate.

Scott

If there is no platelet clumping, we simply review the slide to confirm the count is low (and report with the comment "Platelet count confirmed with peripheral smear review).  If there is clumping, we obviously ask for citrated tube. 

There have been instances when our slide review disagrees with the automated result - either due to giant platelets or platelet satellitosis.  IF the instrument is reporting something <100 OR the result is much lower than historical results, we will replace the result with our manual estimate.  This requires supervisor approval and review. It is pretty rare we do that.

• 3 weeks later...