Physician office staff entering external results in Epic

I had a question today from our Epic team about physician office staff entering blood bank results from outside labs into the lab section in Epic chart review.  I hadn't realized that this was happening, but apparently they can and do.  My concern is that it this result appears with our other lab results and it isn't clear that the results didn't come out of one of our hospitals.  Have others dealt with this?  Am I wasting my energy worrying about it?

Thanks for any thoughts or insight.

Sandi

In the UK this is a no-no. The only time results are sourced from other labs is if it is the reference lab - we now have access to all their reports remotely. For this we need forname, surname, DOB and NHS number which is a national unique identifier. Using any other 4th identifier would not be considered unacceptable. Even with access to this we would still require two groups in our own lab system to electronic issue.

Edited by Auntie-D

Yes, unfortunately we have the same situation.  A physician's office secretary was entering prenatal Type and Screen results in the EMR.  They were not matching our blood type results.  When we noticed they were all AB negative, we thought that was odd.  Then we asked to see the actual lab report from the other lab:

AB screen: negative

Yes, really.  We've asked them to stop doing this and they won't.  When OB calls about "the discrepancy" we tell them that the patient will only receive blood products or RhIg based on our results.

Yes, unfortunately we have the same situation.  A physician's office secretary was entering prenatal Type and Screen results in the EMR.  They were not matching our blood type results.  When we noticed they were all AB negative, we thought that was odd.  Then we asked to see the actual lab report from the other lab:

Yes, really.  We've asked them to stop doing this and they won't.  When OB calls about "the discrepancy" we tell them that the patient will only receive blood products or RhIg based on our results.

Bahahaha.

That's class!!

That is EXACTLY what I'm worried about!  Your story sounds outrageous, but if I had a dollar for every time office staff or L&D staff have turned "A positive, antibody screen negative" into "A negative" I could take you to lunch!  It doesn't appear that I can do anything to stop this, though.