Anyone want to help a newbie supervisor?

kholshoe

Hello all!

My name is Kristen and I'm the supervisor of the hematology/coagulation department at our laboratory.  I have about 9 years experience as a generalist on several shifts, but I am brand-spankin' new to this role.

We have had issues with our sed rate analyzer for a few weeks.  The company is sending us a new one tomorrow (same model, etc...). 

I realize things like accuracy, precision, and analytical range must be established.  However, is it any different for this analyzer since it is the same method, model, etc..?  And, how would your facility go about establishing these things in a situation like this?

I was planning on running QC on both the old and new analyzer for at least one week - this should prove accuracy sufficiently.  I was also going to run a batch of patient samples as a comparison on the old vs the new analyzer...

How do you prove analytical range?  Would you try to establish reproducibility as well?

I'd appreciate any help on this.  My resources are, unfortunately, vague.

For reproducability, I would just run several ESRs on the same set of specimens.  For reportable range?  I guess you could just say it's whatever is readable on the analyzer.

What's wierd, I think, about ESRs is that they are basically a manual method with an automated reader attatched, and all of this stuff seems kindof like overkill.

Scott

I'm thinking a reproducibility study on this might just be overkill as well.  Several of the other supervisors in the lab suggested running QC on both the old and the new analyzer for one week.  And, also running some patient comparisons (but they felt that 10 samples should be sufficient). 

Nothing is changing in my procedure/policy because the instrument is exactly the same model, etc.  I guess I'd feel like more studies were necessary if we were moving from one method of analysis to an entirely new method of analysis.

I agree that alot of this seems silly....a sed rate analyzer is truly just a "reader" like you said.  Thanks for your opinion!

Hello all!

My name is Kristen and I'm the supervisor of the hematology/coagulation department at our laboratory.  I have about 9 years experience as a generalist on several shifts, but I am brand-spankin' new to this role.

We have had issues with our sed rate analyzer for a few weeks.  The company is sending us a new one tomorrow (same model, etc...). 

I realize things like accuracy, precision, and analytical range must be established.  However, is it any different for this analyzer since it is the same method, model, etc..?  And, how would your facility go about establishing these things in a situation like this?

I was planning on running QC on both the old and new analyzer for at least one week - this should prove accuracy sufficiently.  I was also going to run a batch of patient samples as a comparison on the old vs the new analyzer...

How do you prove analytical range?  Would you try to establish reproducibility as well?

I'd appreciate any help on this.  My resources are, unfortunately, vague.

"We have had issues with our sed rate analyzer for a few weeks"   Issues? If the issues are so bad that you need a new one why use the old one for comparison?

"We have had issues with our sed rate analyzer for a few weeks"   Issues? If the issues are so bad that you need a new one why use the old one for comparison?

Grippy,

The only "issues" that were occurring with our analyzer were happening with the barcode reader and the ability to manually type in patient IDs.  The analyzer itself has been, and still is, functioning just fine (ie, QC has been within limits, etc..).

Obviously if the problem with the original instrument was analytical, I would not be using it for anything at this point - including comparison studies ;)

Grippy,

The only "issues" that were occurring with our analyzer were happening with the barcode reader and the ability to manually type in patient IDs.  The analyzer itself has been, and still is, functioning just fine (ie, QC has been within limits, etc..).

Obviously if the problem with the original instrument was analytical, I would not be using it for anything at this point - including comparison studies ;)

Now I know.