HCV Lookback

flaminredfirebird

We recently received notification from our blood supplier that a donor of a blood product we transfused tested positive for Anti-HCV EIA, Intermediate RIBA 3.0, Negative NAT. The patient that received the blood has deceased. According to AABB Technical Manual 16th addition - "In case of HIV and HCV, notification of relatives or legal representatives is mandatory if the recipient is deceased or judged incompetent". Our Medical Director is just wanting to send a letter to the deceased patient's physician. Is this acceptable? Does this count as the legal representative? Also, I have tried to 'google' for an answer and it looks like the FDA may have done away with this policy on the deceased anyway but I can't find anything that clearly says so. I am finding a lot where they have "proposed" to do away with it. We have not received our 17th addition tech manual yet, does anyone know if they have done away with it in there? Any help is appreciated!