Color-coded transfusion tags

kdavis

Our Blood Bank just entered the wondeful world of computerization last December. Nursing would like the blood tags to stand out in the charts by making them a color other than white. My question is does anyone know if regulations still require that colored tags conform to the old standard of blue for type O, yellow for A, pink for B, white for AB? I'm thinking since nearly everyone is probably printing tags from an LIS now, most of the tags are black ink on white paper so maybe no one cares if colored paper is used, as long as all the tags are the same color. The CFR does mention the colors, but in reference to labels for blood bags. If someone does know where a reg or standard is, please point me to it as our nurses always want to see the reference. Thanks.

You are correct that the CFR just specifies if you're going to use colors for the ABO labels what colors you must use...although with computer labeling and ISBT128 many blood bankers have never seen colored ABO grouping labels on products. I do not know of any reference that would preclude the use of colored stock to print the tags and as you mention they should probably all be the same color--whatever that is. Depending on how your record archive is performed though you would need to check that the color selected is compatible with that system. For example, some colors do not photocopy/fax/microfiche well so information on the original tag may not be readable in the archived format.

Our HIM dept -- formally called Medical Records -- says all forms posted to the chart must be white with black letters (among a list of other requirements). It has something to do with the ability to copy it without masks to produce certified copies for legal purposes. We can have one colored edge (bottom), but the change has to go through Admin (increased cost).

If you were to include colors, I would keep them as standardize as possible. No need introucing an error potential when other options exist.

Our unit tags are white with black print. It is just the mounting paper that the tags are placed on that is pink. It is a mounting form with pull-off tape that they use to mount the chart copies of the unit tags on for the patient's chart. This way it is easy to locate and medical records can still scan.