Cellwasher: Helmer Ultra CW vs. Cellwasher 2 Plus?

mara

I've seen the posting of problems with the Cellwasher 2 Plus models (wet cell buttons, wet units, chipping paint). Does anybody have any feedback on the Helmer UltraCW cellwasher or any alternate unit that they love? We have a very old Cellwasher 2 that we need to replace and don't want to buy a lemon. Thanks!

We have had two of the Helmer Ultra CWs with one ranging back nearly 10 years. Neither have had any of the problems that we had with CW2's that we used previously. No saline getting into the electronics, no problems with tube breakage, etc. The techs love them.

Hi Mara,

We have 10 cellwashers of Sorvall and 5 cellwasher Helmer. We have been using Helmer since last year and half. They are CRAP. In 60% of cases we have problem with Check Cells not working. In 80% of cases the numbers on the tube get wiped out after a 4 cycle wash. Sorvall are comparatively good. We are a facility which processes approximately more than 100,000 samples a year.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Hi Mara,

We have 10 cellwashers of Sorvall and 5 cellwasher Helmer. We have been using Helmer since last year and half. They are CRAP. In 60% of cases we have problem with Check Cells not working. In 80% of cases the numbers on the tube get wiped out after a 4 cycle wash. Sorvall are comparatively good. We are a facility which processes approximately more than 100,000 samples a year.

We have 2 Helmer CWs and haven't had any problems like these at all - what kind of saline are you using (possibly too acidic (not buffered?)). How often do you clean your instruments and how do you clean them?

• 2 weeks later...
I like the CW but I have a consistent problem with check cells not working. I can find no pattern to the failures and it is very frustrating. Has anyone solved this problem?

For both posters with Check cells problems - just a question. The Helmer Ultra CWs are highly programmable - is there any chance you are not getting enough saline delivered in the wash cycle you are using? Are you programmed for 10X75 tube volumes or 12X75 tube volumes? Etc...

As for the Lab markers washing off - all Sharpies seem to wash off glass, we use a Lab marker from Securline that seems to work well - manufacturer ASPEN (carried by Fisher and Cardinal, I think) and REF # 1400-20 PDC (that might be a product # - not sure)

Good Luck

Thanks for the constructive ideas - maintenance and program dispense - but I don't think that either of those are the problem. The problem is so random and repeats always work. I have not yet contacted Helmer. Has anyone had good luck with their service department?

• 3 weeks later...