blood bank reagents

apugh

Has anyone tried the new Biotest Blood Bank Reagents? The pricing appears to be lot less than what we are now using, especially for the special antigen typing antisera. If you have, do you like them? Do they perform as well as Ortho and Gamma/Immucor reagents? Thanks!:)

We have just started using the antisera and have not had any problems. Reactivity strength seems to be consistent with the current antseras of Ortho and Immucor. Many of the antisera have only 5 minute incubations, so that is a plus. The centrifugation times are a little different for some of the antisera (20 sec). Make sure you request a Reference Guide from your vendor. It will help with performing at the right temp, time, and centrifugation times. The prices seem to be very competitive, but be careful that you see the quantity of the reagents. Although I, historically, prefer Immucor and Ortho, it's nice to have another alternative when supplies are on backorder. Good Luck

I was interested in trying Biotest products until they started sending e-mails about Immucor's issue with the FDA as a tactic to bring in new business. I didn't like that and have decided not to try their products based on the tactic used of sending the Immucor/FDA issue as a marketing tool.

There has been no official recall by Immucor and the issues are apparently being properly addressed. Shame of you Biotets!

John

A lesson learnt for us is that such sales tactics will not work.

But I will still evaluate their products for the sake of work... If it's really good, then I will resign myself to keep ordering from them... although I may not agree with their sales tactics...

We have been using Biotest reagents for 3 months and are well pleased with them. In our comparison studies they performed as well or better than Immucor reagents and prices are much better. We were glad that we made the switch before Immucor's run-in with the FDA became known.

Virginia, Don't get me wrong, I like Biotest's reagents and their pricing. I am also a big fan of their automated system. I just didn't like the way the sales person tried to gain some business by sending a copy of the Immucor/FDA problem by e-mail one day prior to its release by Immucor. I actually have the Tango on budget for the coming year. I do like the system and it has very high marks on those that use it and have rated it. I just didn't like the approach used in sending the e-mail.

John

I agree John, that Biotest's e-mail was a bit opportunistic, but that's business. We were a good bit more annoyed by Ortho's and Immucor's outrageous price increases in the last year. Competition in the marketplace is a always good thing, and we have had very few choices in the last decade. Gin