Does this count as an Audit?

RR1

Does performing a blood component inventory check, against computer records count as an audit ? If it does- do you list this on your audit schedule, and if this is not classified as such...where in a 'Quality System -would this task be recorded ?

Thanks!

Further to this question- some very helpful folk have told me that if I decide to put this on an audit schedule it's not a problem, but stock inventory checks need to be performed more frequently than annual audits.

I think that if a lab performs this routinely as part of their stock check- then this activity can be included in the normal day to day workfiles. I just know that if this process is not scheduled for my lab ...then it may get forgotten....so for now I will include it on my audit schedule.

Thanks for the info!

We do routine inventory reconciliation to confirm physical vs electronic entry. All RBCs once a week and one blood type of Frozen Products each week of the month.

On our annual audit schedule, it is included with the Storage Audit. The audit would either confirm by QA that it matches or observe the staff performing and then compare the numbers.

Anytime you examine a system for accuracy, completion, compliance, etc.. you can log it as an audit. That doesn't mean you should count them, as the additional documentation that is required may not be worth the schedule entry. Most blood banks reconcile their inventory routinely and if there are any discrepancies they are addressed immediately. Rarely is this brought to the attention of the manager or medical director unless there is a serious issue uncovered. When I look at audits I look for a formal summary and presentation to the manager and medical director with signatory review by those individuals. This documents that the audit was done and the results delivered to the responsible individuals. Seems like a lot of fuss for a routine inventory method so I only document, via my occurrence management system, when discrepancies or errors are discovered.

Thanks LM1 and Franklyn- you have given some very useful tips and info. I'm scheduling a full check every 2 months (red cells, FFP , cryo), as I don't think we could currently cope with the additional workload to perform daily/ weekly.

However I suppose if I did this more frequently it would probably be easier each time...will have to re-consider.